Looking for candidate applications that should successfully adopt the cloud? Use “Cloud Compagnon Applications” and significantly increase the odds!
This article is part of the limited preview of the “The Missing Cloud Programme Roadmap”, a generic roadmap for any enterprise cloud adoption programme.
- Executive Summary
- The Cloud and Enterprises
- The Missing Cloud Programme Roadmap
- The Cloud Programme Roadmap
- The First Iteration of The Cloud Programme Roadmap
- The Unavoidable Disclaimer
- The Roadmap for The Missing Cloud Programme Roadmap
- The Manual for the Missing Manual
- Building the Business Case
- Starting the Cloud Programme
- Iteratively Building the Delivery Pipeline
- Iteratively Executing the Delivery Pipeline
- A Cloudy Future
Selecting Cloud Compagnon Applications
The categorisation of applications in the previous section now makes the selection of suitable “candidate applications” that should successfully adopt the cloud significantly easier. This in return improves the chances of success for the entire cloud programme.
Given the crucial nature of these applications, let’s refer to them as “cloud compagnon applications”. Here, the French spelling for “companion” in the meaning of “lifelong partner” is deliberately chosen in order to emphasise the fellowship and mutual dependency between applications and cloud platform.
An initial selection of cloud compagnon applications (remember, it’s iterative) could be
- A very limited number of existing applications identified as “Fit for Cloud” by the above assessment. Applications from the “Requires Limited Changes” tier should be treated with caution as required changes may turn out to have unexpected, deep, or complex dependency chains; not all of them may be technical.
- Greenfield applications that fall into the “Fit for Cloud” category. Not only do they provide a great management success declaration (read: redundancy survival) opportunity. But more importantly, they are also a great showcase for the novel powers of the cloud as a whole. Especially, when chosen from one or more of the following backgrounds
- Internet facing and able to leverage the extraordinary compute, storage, or bandwidth capabilities offered by the cloud
- Conceptually rich but dependency shallow applications that unlock subsequent high priority patterns
- Leveraging groundbreaking technologies unlocked by the cloud and currently not available on any other corporate platform
When choosing cloud compagnon applications, bare in mind that they possess the power to determine the fate of the cloud programme to a large degree. Both ways (we’ve personally witnessed this several times). Take your time. Choose wisely. Iterate. Reset. Cancel.
Regardless of the choice of eventual cloud compagnon applications, it’s essential to ensure that the organisation as a whole is able to support and sustain the rate of change initiated. Use metrics. Make it data driven.
Setting Up the Teams
Find out more about it in the next article.
So, How Do You Select Applications?!
While the above Worx for Me!™ when it comes to selecting cloud compagnon applications, you may have an alternative or better way.
Think this is all rubbish, massively overrated, or generally heading into the absolutely wrong direction?! Feel free to reach out to me on LinkedIn and teach me something new!
As always, prove me wrong and I’ll buy you a pint!
Subscribe to How Hard Can It Be?!
Get the latest posts by following our LinkedIn page